SGPsychStud: The "Nothing Box" and Mindfulness

Image from http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17476117
It was a very weird day yesterday.  I was in my "Nothing Box" state almost the whole day, going around and doing things without much thoughts.  To learn more about the "Nothing Box", watch the below video (from 3:55 onwards):


I believe the above video is only an abstract of a longer seminar, but the main point is in those short 10 minutes.  Other than describing the "Nothing Box" from 3:55, the speaker, Mark Gungor, also explained its purpose, which was to specifically help men reduce stress.
Probably I was undergoing some stress, from work and personal issues, and hence I had to go into my "Nothing Box" for the whole day, which resulted in me not writing the blog again on Saturday.  I woke up this morning, reflecting on what happened yesterday and the "Nothing Box" came to mind.  This led to my next thought:
Would the ability of going into "Nothing Box" reflect one's ability of being mindful?
I mentioned that mindfulness is one of the new trends in psychology in my earlier posts this year.  But how is mindfulness related to the "Nothing Box" and how can it help us in daily lives?


As mentioned in the above video, mindfulness is to pay attention and being aware to the present moment, rather than focusing on the past or the future.  This is a good way for one to be fully experiential of how and what he/she is feeling or thinking at the present moment.
Going into the "Nothing Box" seemed to be a similar experience;  however the question is:
"Is the guy into his "Nothing Box" being aware of the present moment?"
As mentioned before,
Based on a 2010 meta-analysis published in Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, the authors found that mindfulness-based cognitive therapy is moderately effective for anxiety and mood disorders.  Another 2013 meta-analysis published in Clinical Psychology Review concluded that it "is an effective treatment for a variety of psychological problems, and is especially effective for reducing anxiety, depression, and stress" (p. 763).
Hence we know that mindfulness and its therapy approaches might be very useful for clinical problems, however what about non-clinical issues and everyday lives?
Personally I find it quite relaxing (and reduces stress, like the "Nothing Box") when doing it and after doing mindfulness practices.  It can also get quite stimulating and exciting for me, as I understand that I am fully experiencing my present moment without any judgment.  Another great benefit that I have noticed is that I tend to be able to pay attention for longer periods of time and being more productive when I am being mindful of what I am doing.
Have you tried being mindful in your everyday lives and what benefits have mindfulness given you?
Probably Homer Simpson is an expert at mindfulness.

Comments